Aadhaar Card Name Change: Ensuring Accurate Information
Aadhaar Card, a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Government of India, plays a pivotal role in various aspects of an individual’s life, including opening bank accounts, participating in government schemes, and availing of the benefits of national programs. Issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), this official identity proof must be kept up-to-date with the correct information.
Importance of Correct Name on Aadhaar
Having the correct name on your Aadhaar card is crucial, as it serves as an official proof of identity. Aadhaar cardholders can update their information, including marital status, mobile number, address, and photograph. Here’s a simple procedure for individuals who wish to change their surname on the Aadhaar card after marriage:
Online Surname Change Procedure:
- Visit UIDAI’s official self-service update portal.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and your name and surname.
- Upload scanned, self-attested supporting documents on the portal.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the received OTP to apply for a name change.
It’s important to note that UIDAI does not charge any fee for changing your name after marriage through the self-service portal. This process offers a convenient way to update your Aadhaar with your new surname after marriage.
Offline Surname Change Procedure After Marriage:
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Center.
- Bring all original copies of your documents, including your marriage certificate.
- The center will scan these documents, and the originals will be returned to you.
- A nominal fee of 50 rupees is charged for the offline name change process.
By following these procedures, individuals can ensure that their Aadhaar reflects their accurate and updated information, particularly after a significant life event such as marriage.